Woot’s daily t-shirts often amuse me, but until now I haven’t felt compelled to buy one. Lets count the reasons the Pie(Rate) Chart shirt is awesome, shall we?
- Pun on pirates featuring the word pie. Obviously awesome. (*cough* PieRat *cough*)
- Features a pie chat detailing stereotypical pirate attributes.
- Pie chart does not appear to add up to 100%, which will perturb friends and strangers.
- Pleasure experienced in explaining the joke to the unenlightened.
- Last but not least, it’s a geeky pirate math joke on a t-shirt. Come on, people!
If you’re still wondering what the punchline is, here you go. I love a geeky discussion thread even more than a geeky t-shirt.
From the shirt’s description:
“Well, ye blasted fool, did ye not notice that the circle has a great big patch in the center? Aye, lad, and that patch be coverin’ a missin’ 9%, most likely! And don’t ye be feelin’ foolish now?”
From a forum geek:
“i” is the ninth letter
i = eye
Patch = to fill
therefore: eye patch fills in the missing value
It is a simple case of pirate math people
From the shirt’s creator:
haha, sorry the lack of 100 percent add-up has made some people jump overboard on this shirt’s purchase! There were actually two reasons/jokes we were going for here and both have been mentioned already:
1. 9 percent eyepatch!
2. Pirates ain’t no good at mathimacation, land lubbers!
As for some of the pie slices not matching up to their percentages perfectly, we felt melding the pie colors in a visually pleasing way was more important than aligning to the exact percentages. For instance, the red pie slice is supposed to vaguely look like a sideways pirate hat, as well as the peg leg placed around where the leg might be on a person, the squawk on the shoulder, and the booty…well, I won’t sink as low as our tee does on that front.
Thanks again for the love/indifference!